The park area was originally home to two prisons built to accommodate political prisoners during the time of the White Terror.
First was the New Life Correction Center (1951~1965), operated by the Taiwan Security Command, reflecting Taiwan’s isolated position in the global Cold War. Later came the Ministry of National Defense Green Island Reform and Reeducation Prison (1972~1987). It was also the time of the rising tide of the human rights movement, when overseas human rights activists came to the rescue of Taiwan’s political prisoners. The postwar history of the repression of human rights in Taiwan finds its concrete expression in the relics and exhibition activities of this park.